Friday, August 29, 2014

Wizard Magazine Captain Carrot April Fool's Article (May 2004)

Well, look what I finally managed to track down. It took quite a while, but I finally found a scan of the article that goes with the Phil Jimenez art I posted on the blog a few months back. The article, contained in the May 2004 April Fool's issue of Wizard Magazine (sorely missed) tells of a supposed 6 issue mini-series, written by Geoff Johns with art by Phil Jimenez. The series would star Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew, with guest appearances by the Swamp Thing, Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, and Green Lambkin from the Justa Lotta Animals. The basic storyline is one that is familiar to all Captain Carrot fans, as it later appeared in issues 30 and 31 of the 2003 run of Teen Titans.

The Teen Titans story, was of course, a much truncated version of what is outlined in the article below. I really wish that they would have made THIS series, instead of the small couple of pages we ended up with. This series would have been fantastic, and I would have loved to see the Swamp Thing team up with the Zoo Crew. I think it would have been cool if they brought back the Zoo Crew's swampy villain Mudd from issue #4 of Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew (June 1982), to go up against Swamp Thing. Alas, it was not to be. Just another cruel April Fool's joke on the part of Wizard Magazine.

I hate April Fool's unless I'm the one playing the jokes.

Enjoy the article, and thanks to Shag Matthews from over at Firestorm Fan for bringing this the thing to my attention way back when. Yes, it took me this long to track it down, but I didn't forget.


Oh, and before I forget. The issue number of Wizard for this article is #151. Now go read it, enjoy it, and wish longingly for good things that never happened.

Keep on Crewzin', folks!

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Those pages I noticed are also in the comments under "Captain Carrot in Grant Morrison's MULTIVERSITY" post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up that Diamond has confirmed next week (Sept. 10th) as the release of the Showcase collection for CCATAZC. Amazon lists it for the following Tuesday (keeping with the date for brick-and-mortar stores that don't use the direct market). Unlike the version solicited in 2007, this one is expected to have the NTT preview and the Oz-Wonderland War LS in addition to the 20-issue series.
    But in B&W.
    But for $20.
    But on newsprint.
    But all in one volume.
    Aaarrgh! Comics tennis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you were able to find this issue. I had forgotten about the other sketch. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story actually did happen, in Teen Titans vol. 2 issue 30

    ReplyDelete